be a good eater, and cuddle up on us like a little warm furball. It's
almost as amazing to watch the transformation from that puppy to the overly
excited puppy who WON'T STOP BITING! Yesterday was not the best day for
us...
Craig was working late last night, so it was just me and our little buddy.
Of course he was excited when I came home, and I immediately took him
outside. It was cold and rainy and he didn't do anything. :( About 20
minutes later I took him outside for another try...again...nothing. :( I
figured, oh well, he left a little surprise for me in the kitchen anyway,
so maybe he just doesn't have to go. Then we started playing...but he
started biting. Now, we thought we were doing well with the biting
problem. Every time he would start to gnaw on our fingers or clothes, we'd
quickly swap his object of desire for one of his chew toys (mental note:
keep more chew toys around the house!). I put him in the kitchen for him
to calm down. After a few minutes of whining, he quieted down. A short
while later, I got him back out of the kitchen to see if he wanted to sit
with me or play again. He started zooming around the house at record speed
and it made me laugh! :) Then he took off into the dining room. By the
time I came around the corner to find him, he had already started squatting
and leaving ANOTHER stinky surprise for me! Geez! At least we know this
dog's digestive system is working well! So, he was put back in the kitchen
again...he whined...he calmed down...and a while after I went to get him
again. This time he just cuddled up on me and we both took a nap. :)
That was the good part of our evening together...
We're learning that we need to let him know that he's hurting us when he
bits (even if he isn't hurting) by letting out a loud "Ouch!" and then just
up and leave him alone for a little while. Eventually he'll realize that
if he bites, he will lose his playmate. That will be a challenge for me.
I like to spend time with him first thing in the morning and when we come
home from work because he's been all alone during the day. Unfortunately,
that's also when he's the most excited and tends to bite the most. I guess
we'll have to realize that this won't be solved over night...neither will
the housetraining...
Patience, Amy...patience...
No comments:
Post a Comment